Having the right mindset and attitude can literally change your life. Mindfulness is the art of paying attention. Increasing your capacity for mindfulness supports many attitudes that contribute to a satisfying life.
Being mindful makes it easier to savor the pleasures in life as they occur and creates a greater capacity to deal with adverse events. There are some mindfulness activities that help improve not only your mental health but also your physical health in a number of ways such as relieving stress, treating heart disease and high blood pressure, improving sleep, etc.
In recent years, psychologists researched that mindfulness exercises help growing children the most in terms of removing stress and learning cognitive skills. Many parents follow the approach of mindfulness activities for the treatment of a number of problems in children, including depression, sleeping disorders, eating disorders, anxiety disorders, and obsessive-compulsive disorder, etc.
Mindfulness means paying full attention to something. This is a wonderful way for our children to slow down and focus on something and get some rejuvenation. Practicing mindful techniques will help your child to be attentive, curious, stress-free, and calm. Now, what is better than to have your kid occupied as well as learning and developing a positive attitude at the same time. It’s a win-win, right?
Benefits of Mindful Exercises
There are several benefits of teaching your child mindfulness or engaging them in mindful exercises, such as-
1. Physical development
Mindful activities improve physical health and development in many ways such as fine motor skills, physical confidence, coordination, reduce pain, etc.
2. Emotional and social development
These creative activities help your child to be emotionally healthy and socially active. Your kids will be more calm, compassionate, and empathetic. Also, this will help your child to develop self-confidence and impulse control. Their social skills enhance in terms of collaboration, making and maintaining relationships also better behavior in school.
3. Mental development
Every mindful technique is introduced to children to make them calm, stress-free. These activities significantly lower your child’s anxiety, depression, and sleeping disorder.
4. Cognitive development
These specific benefits include increased attention, focus, and intellectual skills. Stimulates memory and creative thinking. Also, their language skills are developed.
Coming up with different activities to keep your child occupied can be difficult. Here in this article, we assembled some creative and fun activities that your child will absolutely enjoy.
10 Mindful Exercises For Kids
1. Breathing Exercise
Purpose: Destress, Calming, Focus, Thought balancing
Age: 3+ years.
- Get your child to sit in a calm environment
- Ask your child to sit in a lotus position
- Ask your child to think nothing and breath normally
- After that tell your child to close their eyes and take a deep breath
- Ask your child to exhale
- Observe your child when they are inhaling and exhaling
- Repeat this for 10 minutes a day.
2. Mindful Listening
Purpose: Awareness, Focus, Sense of hearing, Stress relief
Age: 4+ years
- Blindfold your child
- Ask your kid to hear the sounds and observe the sensations around, to identify others who are talking
- You can use a bell, a chime, or any object to make a sound. Tell your child to listen to the sound.
- Ask your kid to signal when the sound is stopped
- Tell your child to calm down and focus on the spot where the sound is coming from
- Ask them about this practice, ask your child to tell how many times the sound is played and is stopped